Monday, March 3, 2014

Crafting fails and successes

You know how, when you see an idea on the internet and you think, "That doesn't look so hard",
then you start to do it and realize that maybe it isn't so easy?
Like so many craft endeavors, this one also starts with the words "I saw this on pinterest."
These are little starfish made with saltdough and then poked with toothpicks. The crafter shows you every step so the only thing you can do wrong is to do what I did and make your fish too fat. My first mistake was to send my husband to shop for supplies; he bought wheat flour so they would be pretty and not white.  That was my fault so I can't blame him. I guess they turned out ok, but, like I said, they weren't slim and pretty, rather short and fat. I got 9 starfish out of this batch and I think the example was for a dozen.

2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt 
3/4 cup of water
I baked them for 2 hours on 120F
 
After they were dry I had to spraypaint them gold because the color was just weird, but the gold made them ok. I hanged them in the bathroom, high up so you couldn't look at them too close. 
 


I'm going to try them again but next time use white flour and make them skinnier; this was fun to do and they're cute hanging in the guest bathroom.


1 comment: